Friday, August 28, 2015

{the best} Homemade Granola

Here's why I love this granola.

I mean, besides the fact that it's a delicious crunchy concoction of whole grains and healthy fats with just the perfect touch of sweetness.  Which it totally is.

I love that it's completely customizable.  If you don't like one of the ingredients, leave it out.  Add in things you love.  Use a different sweetener.  Just make sure you keep the ratio of wet to dry ingredients about the same.

Personally, I haven't added the sesame seeds to this recipe in years (although I did find some in the cupboard and I was totally going to put them in this last time, but I forgot).  Lately I've been adding pepitas in their place.  I've also added chopped almonds and chopped pecans to the mix.  I regularly substitute ground flax seed for the wheat germ.

I've shared this recipe before, but it's buried at the end of a post, and isn't very easy to find unless you know exactly what to search for (earth day and medication, of all things...  Don't believe me?  Try it.), so here it is again.

{the best} Homemade Granola
(to print this recipe, click here)

Ingredients (About 10 cups)
    Dry Ingredients
    • 4 c. oats (rolled or quick oats both work)
    • 1 c. flaked coconut
    • 1 c. sunflower seeds
    • 1 c. wheat germ (or ground flax seed)
    • 1/2 c. sesame seeds (or pepitas)
    • 1 c. chopped peanuts
    Wet Ingredients
    • 1 c. honey
    • 1/2 c. oil
    • 1 T ground cinnamon

    Instructions

    1. In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
    2. In a medium saucepan, mix wet ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
    3. Pour honey mixture over dry ingredients and stir until evenly distributed.
    4. Spread on 2 large rimmed baking sheets.
    5. Bake at 325 for 5 minutes, then stir, bake for 5 minutes, then stir, bake for 3 minutes, then stir, bake for 3 minutes.
    6. Allow to cool undisturbed.
    Powered by Recipage

    * * * * * * * * * * * * *


    **Recipe Notes**
    • I love to sprinkle this granola on top of my yogurt and strawberries.  Sweet, tart, and crunch all in one bowl.  So good!  The boys eat it the way they'd eat any cereal.  With milk.  Or ... without milk.
    • I buy a lot of my ingredients in the bulk aisle of my grocery store.  That way I can buy the exact amount I need for the recipe.
    • Measure the oil (I like using coconut oil) first, then measure the honey in the same measuring cup.  The honey will slip right out.
    • If it is humid when you make this granola, it might not get crunchy.  If it's a little soggy for your liking, just pop it back in the oven for a few minutes to crisp it up.  It helps to store it in an airtight container, as well.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...