I'm a little surprised that I haven't shared the recipe with you before now, but better late than never, right? Also, AKD's going to be responsible for feeding himself starting in September, and he wanted the recipe. In honor of AKD, I've included the ingredient amounts in the instructions. So. much. easier.
Here it is:
(makes ...a lot... we like leftovers of this meal, but it's super easy to cut the recipe in half or freeze half)
(to print this recipe, click here)
2 lb ground beef (I use 93% lean)
1/2 c. flour, or proportional amount of another thickening agent
2 c. beef broth (or 2 c. water with 2 beef bullion cubes dissolved in it)
Two 16 oz bags of frozen mixed veggies (or equivalent amount of cooked veggies of choice)
About 4 c. mashed potatoes (I loosely follow this recipe, but instant works, too)
- In a large skillet, brown 2 lb ground beef. Do not drain.
- Add 1/2 c. flour or equivalent amount of another thickening agent. Stir to distribute, and cook over medium high heat, stirring, for a minute or so.
- Slowly add 2 c beef broth, stirring constantly until combined. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally until gravy is thick.
- Add two 16 oz bags of mixed veggies and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan, 2.5 qt dish, or two 8x8" pans.
- Top with about 4 c. mashed potatoes. Some folks put the potatoes just around the outside edge, but we spread them over the entire surface.
- Bake at 400°F for 40-45 min or until potatoes start to brown. This almost always bubbles out of the pan, so place a large baking sheet under to catch drips.
- To freeze, prepare as listed, including baking. Let cool completely, then wrap well and freeze. To bake, cover with foil and reheat at 350°F for an hour, or until hot.