Thursday, March 29, 2012

Strong enough

Have you heard that saying, "God will never give you more than you can handle"?  Some people add a tongue-in-cheek, "I just wish God didn't trust me so much," on to the end of that.  You hear it a lot when people are going through adversity, like a loss or serious illness.  It's supposed to be comforting...or inspiring...or something.

It really annoys me when people say that.  Mostly because it just. isn't. true.  And I would go so far as to say it's dangerous to believe the lie.  Would you like to know where that saying comes from?

Paul is writing to the church at Corinth, warning them not to fall into the traps of idolatry and immorality--not to become complacent or overly comfortable, because temptation is universal:

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.  (1 Corinthians 10:13)

I think we can agree that this verse is saying something altogether different, right?

God does allow circumstances in our lives that are too difficult for us to navigate on our own so that He can draw us closer.  God knows I've had a few of those in my life: situations that were just too much for me to endure.  Sometimes, we can't do it any more, and we just break .  It is in those broken moments of deepest despair when our heavenly Father longs to reach out and pull us closer.  He aches to put our broken pieces back together into something new and beautiful.

Those times of dark desolation in my life, when I have clung to God, knowing that I can do nothing else, have been so, so beautiful, because of God's transforming love, through God's amazing grace.  There is nothing better than living, with every breath, in the conviction that it is God who sustains you, and nothing else is holding you up. 

God uses these situations in our lives because He wants us to know and trust and believe that He is faithful to carry the burdens that are too heavy for us to bear.  He is, you know.  Strong enough.
In my weakness, His strength is made perfect.
But the Lord said, “My grace is all you need. Only when you are weak can everything be done completely by my power.” So I will gladly boast about my weaknesses. Then Christ’s power can stay in me. (2 Corinthians 12:9 ERV)
 
I love this song.  Listen, then scroll down for the lyrics.

Matthew West - Strong Enough (Official Music Video) from emimusic on GodTube.

Strong Enough
Matthew West

You must, You must think I'm strong
To give me what I'm going through

Well forgive me
Forgive me if I'm wrong
But this looks like more than I can do
On my own

(Chorus)
I know I'm not strong enough to be
Everything that I'm supposed to be
I give up
I'm not strong enough
Hands of mercy won't you cover me
Lord right now I'm asking you to be
Strong enough
Strong enough
For the both of us

Well, maybe, maybe that's the point
To reach the point of giving up
Cause when I'm finally
Finally at rock bottom
Well, that's when I start looking up
And reaching out

Chorus

Cause I'm broken
Down to nothing
But I'm still holding on to the one thing
You are God
and You are strong
When I am weak

I can do all things
Through Christ who gives me strength
And I don't have to be
Strong enough
Strong enough

I can do all things
Through Christ who gives me strength
And I don't have to be
Strong enough
Strong enough

Chorus


(Thanks to KLOVE for the lyrics)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...