Saturday, March 22, 2014

I didn't bring a camera: Spring Break 2014

This past week was spring break for us.  It was a little strange for our spring break to actually encompass the first day of spring this year--our break is generally earlier.  It was also a little strange that we still had about 18 inches of snow on the ground (less in some places, much more in others) on the first day of spring.  OK, that wasn't really all that strange, considering this and this and this.

According to the children of the moms of two of my middlest child's friends, everyone was going somewhere for spring break.  Well, not everyone, because our three families stayed here.  One of the moms was annoyed, the other resigned.  And me?  I just wanted to stay busy.  Because busy is better when my kidlets are spending time with each other.

But I didn't bring a camera, and here's why.  This digital age has led our culture to experience our own lives through a viewfinder.  It's almost as if we believe if we don't post pictures to facebook or instagram, it didn't really happen.  Well, my friends, I'm here to tell you that it did happen, and I actually lived it instead of merely watching it unfold through a camera lens.

We started our break off with a bang on Monday by...cleaning.  Whoowee, was that fun!  OK, not really, but I was blown away to discover that we have 7 boxes of size 8 clothes down in the Bluefield Basement Boutique.  Why so many?  Um...I'm not sure.  It is possible that we have 7 or more boxes of size 10 or 12 or 14 or 16 clothes, but those are distributed in other places, on call for a couple of the children to wear at a moment's notice.  Would you like me to take a picture of the 7 boxes of size 8 clothes?  'Cause I don't mind experiencing that through the filter of a camera lens.

We also did laundry on Monday, and can I just ask y'all?  Why are boys so averse to changing their socks and underwear?  I found exactly half a pair of socks in one of my kids' laundry this week.  One sock.  In a week's-worth of dirty clothes.  Boys!

Tuesday was almost as fun as Monday--we ran errands.  I know.  I really know how to have a good time.  But here's the thing.  This might have been a vacation for the boys, but for me, it was working overtime.  Mamas don't get vacations.

One of the errands was getting the kiddos' pictures taken, which was long overdue. 




They are goofy and just so darn cute.  And poor MC.  He doesn't know how to smile on command, and hates making eye contact, even with a camera.  Pictures are hard for him.

Wednesday we went to a waterpark.  You know, the one with the really tall family raft ride, which we had to ride multiple times, and which I ended up going down backwards once (darn lifeguard spun the raft), which made me feel just an itty bit nauseous?  OK.  It was more than an itty bit.  Anyone else live in mortal fear of being the one that makes them shut down the waterpark because of barf in the water?  Good thing the line was long enough that I was able to rest in between runs...

Thursday was gorgeous: sunny and 50 degrees.  We headed for the state park across the street and found 7 out of 9 geocaches before the GPS battery pooped out on us.  We were soaked and exhausted by the time we were done (not unlike the waterpark, except we were fully clothed).  It was a glorious day.

Friday we headed to the dinosaur exhibit at the science museum.  While we were watching the movie, Bubby, my youngest, turned to me and said, "Mama, can I get a bird?"  I didn't know what to think.  It was out of nowhere, and birds have never been a particular interest of this child, or any of my children.  I just kind of ...stared... at him.  And then, perhaps sensing my confusion, he explained, "I want a pet dinosaur."  Oooooh.  Well, that makes sense.  And gosh darn it, I want him to have a dinosaur.  We decided it might be good enough to visit the dinosaurs AKD's buddies raise for eggs.

Today is Saturday.  The oldest child is going to go shoot guns.  The rest of us are going to hit the library to replenish our stack of DVDs and then head to the bullseye store (the closest the rest of us are going to get to shooting today) to take advantage of some deals that are ending today.  Sure hope we're not disappointed.

Sunday, we rest.  Or maybe go to the zoo.  Because why not?

And then Monday.  Back to the grindstone.

What did you/are you doing for spring break?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...