Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Shoebox Collection Week!

Y'all!  When I said on Monday that it doesn't really matter to me what the date is, I didn't realize (well, of course I didn't), that it was November 17th!  November 17th!  Do you know what this means?  Of course!  This is national Operation Christmas Child shoebox collection week!  Ack!  I can't believe I almost missed it!  Of course, I'm planning on bringing my boxes with me to the processing center when I volunteer there next month, but you all might not be able to do that.  You might have to actually get your boxes to a collection center this week.

There is still time, my friends.  Make a box.  Or two.  Or ten.  Or a hundred.  OK, there might not be enough time to make 100.  But you can definitely do one or two.  Click here for my tips on packing a box.  Click here for OCC shoebox guidelines.  Click here to find a collection site near you.

As for me, like I said last year, this year I packed just 2 boxes, and then bought a bunch of filler items to take with me to the processing center.

Sorry I didn't get a better picture of the boxes and/or everything laid out.  I just didn't have the heart to unpack everything to show you, because believe me, these boxes are packed!  Not sure if I could get it all back in again.

What's in the boxes, you ask?  Well, I'll tell you.  In both boxes, I have:

  • a bar of soap
  • toothbrush and toothpaste
  • flashlight with lots of extra batteries
  • calculator
  • reusable cloth bag
  • glow sticks
  • gum
  • lifesavers
  • a picture of my family with a note and our address


In my boy age 10-14 box I have:

  • a small hammer
  • screwdriver set
  • tape measure
  • safety glasses
  • fleece gloves
  • a shirt
  • a survival kit that consists of fishing gear, fire building supplies, and cording


And in my girl age 10-14 box I have:

  • 8 yards of fabric in 3 different prints
  • a sewing kit consisting of needles, thread, scissors, etc.
  • extra thread
  • socks
  • small mirror
  • brush and hair binders


 And here's a peek at my filler items:


Your turn: did you pack boxes this year?  What's in your box?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...