Friday, October 2, 2015

Enough

The other day, a friend of mine, who happens to be a pastor, posed this fill in the blank query:

I wish I had more _________.  I wish I was more _________.  

Within less than 24 hours, she had 20 responses, including mine.  My favorite (from a mutual friend): "Memory!  I'd let you know the second word, but I can't remember it!"

Some of the things we wished for were patience, energy, time, confidence, wisdom, money, focus.  The responses were honest and sincere, and I honor that.  We humans yearn for more.  It's just how we are.

The next day, there was another fill in the blank question waiting for us:

I have enough __________.  I am __________ enough.

This time, only 3 responses.  Why is that?  Why are we so quick to point out our shortcomings, but not to celebrate the fact that we are so abundantly blessed?  I don't think it's because we're humble; I don't think it's because we don't want to brag.  I really think it's because we don't believe that we have enough, that we are enough.

Why?

God, the Creator of all things, including you, including me, thinks knows we are enough.  God, the Sustainer of all things, including you, including me, provides for all of our needs.  How can we not know that we have enough, that we are enough?

Here's how I answered:

 I refuse to answer on the grounds that I am holding firm to the belief that I am enough.

and

Yes.

I'm not saying that I don't struggle with feeling not enough.  I do.  Every single day.  If you've been reading for any length of time, you know that.  But honestly, my friends, the only way I can keep going, the only way I can keep moving forward in this life, is to cling to the truth.  I have enough.  I am enough.


“You are enough- you are so enough. It’s unbelievable how enough you are.”
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...