Hi everyone. Lots of "holidays" this week. You know, the kind of holidays some parents (usually the mamas) live for, and others dread? I'm somewhere in between. I celebrate, sometimes, and other times just let them go. First up is pi day, 3.14. That's today! My pie-loving boys (and there are only two of them) have requested cherry, pumpkin, apple, and French silk. French silk? Seriously? Methinks it's been too long since those boys had pie. Next is St. Patrick's Day, when everyone sorta pretends to be Irish. Finally, the first day of spring, or, more cryptically, the vernal equinox, happens this week. I'm sure there are more--I'm just not in the mood to look 'em up. Do you celebrate any of these?
Here's what's on the menu this week:
- Meat sauce with spaghetti or zucchini noodles, roasted brussels sprouts, grilled garlic toast, individual cherry pies
- Tacos, tortillas, taco toppings
- Brats or hot dogs (or taco bean soup, for those among us who can't bring themselves to eat either) with or without buns, carrots, green stuff
- Green, shamrock shaped pancakes, scrambled (possibly green) eggs, bacon, fresh fruit, leftover green stuff, brownie cups with mint ice cream
- Pizza or chicken crust pizza, salad
- Grilled chicken, grilled broccoli, salad
- Grilled steak, mashed potatoes, asparagus (if available) or broccoli, cauliflower, carrot medley
- Large batch spaghetti sauce--I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to can or freeze the extra. I'd better decide soon, though, because I'm making it this afternoon!
- Spinach muffins--these are bright green, and I'm told you can't taste the spinach. There's a chocolate version, too, which obviously, I have to make soon, but I love the bright green color for St. Patrick's Day.
- Spaghetti squash breakfast cups--I'm using up the last of the spaghetti squash from the freezer.