Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate for Canning or Freezing

Our strawberry harvest this year is by far the best harvest we've had since we planted the strawberry patch a few years ago.  I think it's partly because the patch is well-established, and partly because I've done a better job protecting the berries from rodents and birds this year, and partly because of the weather.

This year, for the first time, I've been harvesting enough strawberries that we can't eat them all before they go bad.  That's why I decided to make them into strawberry lemonade concentrate.  Sure, I could freeze them, but I think my family will enjoy them more this way (and if you're like me, harvesting your own strawberries, you can freeze them until you get enough to make the strawberry lemonade.

This is a super simple recipe, with only 3 ingredients.  It tastes sweet and tart, just perfect to sip while sitting in the porch spring on a hot summer evening.  I canned my strawberry lemonade concentrate, because I have way more shelf space than I do freezer space, but if you don't want to can it, you could certainly freeze it.  Enjoy!

Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate
(to print this recipe, click here)


Ingredients (About 6 pints)
  • 6 c. strawberry puree (3-4 pounds strawberries)
  • 4 c. lemon juice (bottled is fine)
  • 6 c. granulated sugar
Instructions

  1. Wash, hull, and puree the strawberries in a blender or food processor, measuring to make 6 cups of strawberry puree.
  2. Add the strawberry puree, lemon juice, and sugar to a non-reactive pot and stir.
  3. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, to 190°F. Remove from heat, and skim any foam.
If canning
Ladle hot liquid into about 6 pint jars or 3 quart jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes.


If freezing
Allow to cool. Ladle into freezer containers and freeze.

To reconstitute

Add 3 jars water, sparkling water, or lemon-lime soda to one jar concentrate. Taste, and add more water or sugar if desired.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...