Thursday, April 2, 2020

12/20 for 2020

It's April, friends, which means it's time for another 20 for 2020 update.  I'm still plugging along on my goals, although I kind of lost momentum when my kiddos and hubby all started working and schooling from home.  It's strange to go from pretty much being alone all day every day to suddenly having four other humans in your space all.the.time.  It threw me off my game a bit.

Anyway, here are the first twelve of my 20 for 2020 goals:
  1. Make sauerkraut
  2. Grow an amaryllis. Well, it didn't grow the way amaryllis usually does, but the amaryllis found a way.  There are shoots coming up on three sides of the bulb and from the center.
  3. Drink tea.
  4. Make cloth napkins for more seasons.
  5. Track something.
  6. Buy a statement necklace.
  7. Make a box to sit on our toilet tank.  
  8. Make a particular wooden sign for a friend.  I did it!  And I gave it to her, so now I can show you!

  9. Make mayonnaise.
  10. Make maple syrup.  Isn't it beautiful?  This year's syrup season seemed particularly ... not really difficult, but ... fraught with issues.  Right now, I don't see myself doing this again.  Maybe I'll remember this feeling the next time I get the urge to make syrup.
  11. Watch the Star Wars movies in timeline order.  I don't think I had ever seen any of them besides Episodes IV, V, and VI.  That is a travesty.  We've watched up through Rogue One, but the library isn't circulating materials right now, so I'm not sure when we'll be able to continue.  We might have to bite the bullet and sign up for Disney+.  The free trial, of course.
  12. Start seeds indoors.  I did it.  I planted carrots and radishes the other day.  And I promptly forgot which veggie variety was in which container.  No worries--I'll be able to tell once they sprout.  While my intent with this goal was to start seeds for later transplanting, I decided that planting seeds in containers indoors was close enough.  I have the dates in my calendar to plant seeds for transplanting, too.


Here are three goals I plan to work on in April:
  1. Finish or decide to abandon that darn puzzle.  We've had it, and it's been in progress, for 5 or 6 years.
  2. Make and install towel hooks/shelf in the bathroom.  I wonder how many more months I will intend to work on this goal.  It does seem a bit pointless to work on it right now because then I'll have to store it for months while I first brood chicks, and then paint the bathroom. 
  3. Make a reusable bag out of a chicken feed sack 


And here is the list of potential goals, which is finally decreasing in length:
  1. Crochet a cowl
  2. Crochet a poncho
  3. Make a reusable bag out of a chicken feed sack (this, and the other sewing-related potential goals, are complicated by the fact that my kiddo just declared my sewing machine officially not-worth-fixing.  I am definitely not up for handsewing this, or anything, in 2020).
  4. Make reusable food wrap
  5. Make a pretty apron (I would have to find a pattern I like first.  Also, a sewing machine)
  6. Make lip balm
  7. Make soap
  8. Make a console table/thing to keep the step stool from dinging our wall.
  9. Make a frame for the B
  10. String art
  11. Install pallet wall
  12. Install gallery wall (we had a gallery wall, but there was just something off about it.  I was never happy with it.  Too symmetrical, maybe.  Or the frames were too close together.  Or maybe too big or too small in scale for the wall.  So I'm afraid to try again, lest I not like it again.  I think a gallery would look better on the wall we're intending to palletisize (absolutely a word), but I don't know if I will want to cover up so much of that wall).
  13. Light an outdoor tree (there is a sledding hill between our house and the tree I want to light, so I'm not sure it'll work.  Either there will be an extension cord that we will have to avoid while sledding, or the lights will have to be solar or battery powered, which, of course, would drive up the cost of this project).
  14. Go to a movie by myself (not sure what's coming in 2020, but there's bound to be at least one movie that I want to see, but no one else in my family wants to see).
  15. Hang the W (MC made a beautiful wooden W sign that needs hanging).
  16. Repair moose pillows
  17. Log 50 activities on Strava
  18. Finish or decide to abandon that darn puzzle
  19. Can apple pie filling
  20. Remove a popcorn ceiling
  21. Wash outside windows
  22. Grow and can pickles
  23. Obtain a working sewing machine
  24. Make and install towel hooks/shelf in the bathroom.  I have the hooks.  I think I probably have the wood (I need to go through the stack of pallet wood to see if I have a combination of sizes that will add up to the size I want).  It needs to happen.  Now it's just a question of how long it'll take for me to actually take action.
  25. New floor.  It's time.  It's past time.
  26. Make a cast iron skillet handle cover.  Cast iron skillets are excellent for cooking because they heat so evenly.  Unfortunately, the even heat means the handle gets hot, too.  I'll be making a heat-resistant handle cover.
  27. Plant something new .  I ordered some seeds!  Imagine a fruit that looks like, and has the texture of, a granny smith apple, but tastes like honeydew.  That's what I'm growing!  And starting indoors.  I also grabbed a small watermelon and a beet variety.  So fun!
  28. Stencil a welcome mat.  Because our storm door opens outward and is very close to the porch surface, we won't be able to actually use the welcome mat at our own house, but I really want to try the technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...