Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The Salsa Dilemma

We are out of salsa, but there are no tomatoes in our garden even close to being ripe.

I'm not sure what to do.

We could (*gasp*) buy some salsa.  We actually did that last week for our family vacation--I needed some for a recipe.  We didn't like it all that much.  I mean, it was OK, but not like homemade.

Or we could (*gasp*) buy tomatoes.  That's what I do when we have the misfortune to run out of salsa during the winter.  The trouble is, no one else around here has ripe tomatoes in their gardens, either, so the tomatoes I would be able to buy are likely to be somewhat...tasteless.

Or we could (*not-sure-what-to-put-here-but-somehow-*gasp*-doesn't-seem-quite-right*) wait until we have fresh, ripe garden tomatoes with which to make salsa.

I'm leaning toward that third option, actually.  Any homemade salsa is yummy, but the sweetness that tomatoes ripened on the vine in the sun bring to the mix?  It's magic.

Want to know who is not leaning toward the third option?  AKD.  I have no idea when this child of mine started liking salsa.  He's really not a fan of spicy food.  But one day, all of a sudden, he was eating gobs of the stuff.  It was two or three batches ago.  He dubbed that batch diabolo salsa, because it started out sweet, and then the hot hit ya.  Also, he called it that because I wouldn't let him call it devil salsa.

He just kept eating it, scoopful after scoopful.  His face was red; he was sweating and gulping down glass after glass of cool water.

I asked him why he didn't just stop eating.  He said because it was so good, but it was also so bad, but it was also so good.  He was conflicted, in other words.  Loving and hating and loving that salsa all at once.  And he cannot imagine having to wait 3 or 4 weeks to eat homemade salsa again.  He even offered to help.

But I'm still not sure what to do.  The struggle is real.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...