Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Lenten Practice Update: Week 2


As I mentioned in this post, I've committed, during the season of Lent, to finding 10 things a day, Monday through Friday, to get rid of.  Here's how I'm doing.

Wednesday we did some decluttering in Bubby's bedroom, and found clothing that's either too small for him or that he would never wear.  These clothes are in good condition, and will make someone very happy to find at the thrift store, especially the pants (it is so rare to find used pants in Bubby's size with the knees still intact).  He also found a couple of toys he wanted to give away.  Total number of items: 19
  • 16 pieces of clothing
  • 2 toys
  • 1 too-small costume

Thursday I reorganized our spices--generally I buy bulk spices and refill our spice containers, so I refilled all the containers and was able to throw away some packaging.  I threw away some boxes of crumbs that someone had put back in the cupboard, and a box of crackers that had been in the cupboard, open, for a few months, with no progress toward finishing them.  I also found some miscellaneous kitchen gadgets to get rid of.  Total number of items: 10
  • 2 kitchen gadgets
  • 4 empty spice packages
  • 3 empty cracker boxes
  • 1 open box of stale crackers that no one will eat

On Thursday, I finished some syrup and canned it, which reminded me that I had too many canning rings--they're not supposed to be stored on the jars, so I keep them in a plastic canister.  My container was overflowing, so on Friday, I sorted through my canning rings and discarded those that were rusty or dented.  Total number of items: 15, and now I have room for all of the remaining rings in their container.


On Monday, I was back in Bubby's bedroom.  There were still some things stored on a high shelf in his closet that had been in the room when it was our guest bedroom, so I cleared off that shelf and decided we could get rid of most of it.  Total number of items: 30

  • Broken plastic storage box
  • Broken ceramic figure (I would have saved this and put it back together, but we didn't have all of the pieces)
  • 3 hooks
  • flannel sheet set
  • about 2 dozen wooden letters that I saved for a project that I am never going to actually do.

On Tuesday, I tackled the shelves on the right side of my closet.  Total number of items: 12
  • 2 cardboard boxes
  • 5 pieces of clothing
  • 2 packs of stale gum
  • small container of hand sanitizer
  • reusable shopping bag
  • 1 purse

Total this week: 86
Two week total: 163

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...