Monday, March 18, 2019

Menu plan for the week of March 18

You guys.  I made Bubby's favorite muffins again the other day.  Remember when I made a double batch and I forgot the vanilla extract?  And sugar?  No one noticed.  Well, this time, I forgot the chocolate chips.  Seriously, what is wrong with me?  I'm not sure if anyone would have noticed this time because I pointed it out to them before they had a chance to notice.  Bubby has decided they're not worth eating without the chocolate chips.  Now, I agree, chocolate is life, but I honestly feel like leaving the sugar out would make muffins taste worse than leaving the chocolate out.  Am I wrong on this?

And now we have a new rule in our house.  I can only make these muffins when they are the only thing I am making at the time, and when all of the dishes have been washed and the counters are clear.  Because that's what happened, again.  I was making a graham cracker crust for one of our Pi day pies, and decided I might as well make these muffins too, since the previous batch was gone, and I was already crushing graham crackers.  There were dirty bowls and spoons and rubber scrapers and pastry blenders and pie plates and rolling pins everywhere, so I didn't want to add to the chaos by lining up all of the ingredients for this recipe.  And I was so careful to make sure I was adding everything.  Until, of course, the chocolate chips.  *Sigh*

In my continuing quest to use up pantry items, this week I'm making Beef Barley Soup, to finally use up that barley we have in the cupboard.  I don't even know how much barley is still in the box: I don't know if it's more, or less, or just the right amount, for the soup.  Regardless, it's going in.  All of it.  I caved, and peeked at the expiration date.  2011.  It's ok.  We'll be fine.  Really.  Dried grains don't really go bad.  In the soup, I'm also using some of the carrots and celery that I purchased for the lentil soup two weeks ago.  In addition, we have spaghetti and meatballs on the menu today.  I've got some meatballs in the freezer, and a half jar of spaghetti sauce that I used for the stuffed shells.  We're also eating down the pasta collection.

It's satisfying, this using up of the things.  I love the challenge, and I love not wasting food.  I also love getting seldom-used ingredients out of my cupboards.  Until the next time I buy a seldom-used ingredient, that is.  How about you?  Do you have anything in your cupboards that you're not sure how to use?

Here's what's on the menu this week:

Supper:

  • Spaghetti & meatballs, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, garlic toast
  • Tacos with veggies
  • Pancakes & bacon, strawberries
  • Slow cooker beef barley soup, rolls
  • Pizza (saucecrust), salad
  • Grilled pork chops, mashed potatoes, grilled veggie
  • Hot dogs or brats, buns, grilled veggie, jello
Other:
I don't know.  I'm finding it difficult to commit right now.  But I'm sure I'll make something else this week.  Oh, yeah.  Warm me up sausage quiche.  I'm making that.  Probably other things, too.  But probably not muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...