Saturday, June 16, 2012

Menu Board

I am in love.  I saw this menu planning board this morning on Pinterest and now I must make it.
 
It is no big secret that although I am in my dream job as our family's COO, and therefore am in charge of...well, everything, I have come to dread all things homemake-y, including planning menus and grocery shopping.  At the risk of sounding like a whiner, it's just so hard.  So hard to come up with new ideas every.single.week.  So hard to come up with main dishes that everyone or even just a majority will like.  So hard to get motivated to plan, shop, and cook when I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I will be receiving complaints from at least 2 separate people per meal.  One of my children doesn't like cheese for goodness sake.  Arrgghh!
 
I know that a stronger woman would just let all that roll off her back and continue to serve a variety of nutritious meals regardless of negative feedback.  But I am not that strong.  I put my heart, my very self, into everything I do as a wife, mommy, and homemaker (whatever that is), and it hurts to be told, over and over again, that it's not good enough.  I mean, family, the voices in my head totally have that negative stuff covered--y'all need to be my cheerleaders, drowning the voices out.
 
And when I ask those complainers what they would like to eat, they stare at me with blank expressions.  I'm pretty sure at least 2 of the people who live here would be happy with Fruit Loops for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...well, those nutrition experts do say to eat a rainbow every day...
 
People who love me have suggested a rotating menu.  Like, just plan 5 weeks' worth of menus and repeat...and repeat...and repeat.  And it sounds like a good idea, until I get down to the nitty gritty and realize that I would be changing it every week because I found a new recipe I want to try, or because whatever is on the menu is not on sale (please don't ask me to pay $5/lb for pork chops, when I know they'll go on sale for $2.50 in the next few weeks), or because whatever is on the menu doesn't sound good to me.
 
So I've just been plugging along, asking the family for suggestions and receiving blank stares, brainstorming and rejecting 3/4 of the ideas I come up with because I know the natives won't like it, procrastinating until the last minute...and then serving leftovers or cereal and procrastinating some more.
 
This menu board could be the miracle I've been searching for.  Or not.  All I know is, something's got to change.  Stand by...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...