Sunday, March 3, 2013

Meaningful graduation gift (start now!)

So I thought I was going to share this yesterday, it being Dr. Seuss's birthday and all, but, um...didn't happen.  Better late than never?  It's the thought that counts?  Enjoy, my friends :)

Before you dismiss this post because you already know that Oh the Places You'll Go makes a terrific graduation gift, I need to tell you that there's more to it than just the book.  So keep reading, OK?  You won't be sorry.
 

I was going to tell you how wonderful this book is, but here--I'll let Amazon tell you:
Dr. Seuss's wonderfully wise graduation speech is the perfect send-off for children starting out in the world, be they nursery, high school, or college grads! With his trademark use of humorous verse and illustrations, Dr. Seuss addresses the the ups and downs life presents while encouraging readers to find the success that lies within them all.
Seriously, terrific book.  And a terrific gift for graduates, or anyone, really.  I wouldn't mind getting this as a gift (hint, hint).

But that is not all, oh no, that is not all!

I saw this idea on Pinterest, and I just think it's brilliant.  So what you do, is buy a copy of the book, and then through the years, have your child's teachers, coaches, Sunday school teachers, etc write in the book, giving your child encouragement and love through the years.  Then, present the book to them for their high school graduation.

I LOVE IT!  Be sure to have each person note their relationship to your child and date their entry.

Don't waste another day, my friends.  Start now.  And in 18 or 13 or even 5 years from now, savor the look on your all-grown-up baby's face as he realizes what a treasure you've given him.

I only regret that I didn't think of this sooner, but no worries--I'm still in contact with most of AKD's and MC's teachers.  It won't be quite the same, having AKD's kindergarten teacher writing about him now that he's a 7th grader, but close enough :)

Oh the Places You'll Go is on sale right now was on sale at Target for only $10 (this happens every year around this time, so if you want to wait, you can pick it up next February).  Or, save yourself a trip and order from Amazon.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...