Thursday, March 14, 2013

Work for Hire

I talk enough about chores and housework around here for you to know that this part of my job occupies much of my thoughts (and believe me, I don't have many thoughts to spare). 
 
A year or so ago, we decided to start giving our kids an allowance.  Their allowance is not tied to their chores--they are expected to do their chores because they are a part of our family, and I didn't want to give them the option of saying they weren't going to do their chores because they didn't want the money that week.  But I wanted them to start learning to handle money as well, hence the allowance.
 
Since the institution of the allowance, we have always said that if our kids want extra money, they can earn it by doing chores beyond their normal, expected chores.  It sounded good, but was problematic because we never had jobs at the ready for them to do when they asked us.  And I've never been all that great at thinking on my feet (this is why I write instead of talk).
 
Until now.  I thought I'd share my solution with y'all.
 
 I made up these cute little 3x5 cards on the 'puter.  Because it makes this whole endeavor seem more official, yes?

 On the front of the card, I write the job, how much it pays, and how much time I would expect it to take (that's $20 an hour, boys--snap this job right up).

 On the back of the card, I write out, step by step, what needs to be done for the job to be considered complete.

The cards are tacked to our family message center, and when someone asks me what they can do to earn a little extra money, now I know where to send them.

Happy work for hire-ing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...