Thursday, April 16, 2015

Individual serving no-bake quiche


Y'all know that I eat oatmeal for breakfast pretty much every day.  What y'all might not know is that I used to not like oatmeal.  It started as an experiment to see if I could replicate the flavor of my son's favorite variety of instant oatmeal.  I developed my recipe through rigorous scientific testing over a period of weeks, and by the time I was done, I had developed a taste for oatmeal.  It's easy, fast, tastes good, and is good for me--it's the perfect breakfast.

Lately, though, I've been having eggs for breakfast.  That started when I was caring for a friend's chickens for a couple of weeks.  I was having eggs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I still couldn't keep up with production.

Eggs have more protein than oatmeal, and they way I prepare them, less fat, too.  So I'm alternating.  If I feel like a high-quality carb breakfast, it's oatmeal.  If I feel like a high-quality protein breakfast, it's eggs.

I wanted to add even more high-quality protein to my eggs, so I started eating them with cottage cheese.  It was delicious.  Then, one fateful day, I decided to mix plain Greek yogurt into my eggs, before scrambling them, with my usual mushrooms, onions, and peppers.  It tasted just like quiche!  So creamy and delicous!  And quiche is ... so much better ... than scrambled eggs.

Here's how I make my own individual serving of no-bake "quiche."

Indivdual Serving No-Bake "Quiche"



Ingredients:
2 eggs or 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites
1/4 c. plain no-fat Greek yogurt
mix-ins, about 1/2 cup--my standards are mushrooms, bell peppers, and green onions, but I've added other veggies, like broccoli, zucchini, spinach, and tomatoes, and meats, like crumbled bacon or bulk turkey breakfast sausage.  You could also add a bit of cheese if you like.

Method:
  • Scramble the eggs.  Add Greek yogurt and whisk until well combined.
  • In a small pan, saute any veggies you'd like to be softer.  I saute my mushrooms and bell peppers, but not the green onions.
  • Mix veggies, meats, and cheese into the egg mixture.
  • In a non-stick pan, cook egg mixture as you would scrambled eggs until no longer runny.  Alternately, pour egg mixture into a greased mug.  Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until set.
I enjoy mine with a piece of whole grain toast.

Nutrition information courtesy of  www.caloriecount.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...