Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Holiday Baking 2015




I just know that y'all have been waiting, holding your breath in anticipation of this year's holiday baking list.

I know this, because no one has asked me about it, and of course you wouldn't, because you can't, because you're holding your breath.  Kind of hard to talk in that situation.

I'm going simple this year.

OK, I guess simple is relative.  I'm going simple this year in relation to past years.

Once again I asked my boys what Christmas treats they wanted me to make, and once again, all three of the ones who came from my body said they wanted snickerdoodles.

One more time, and for the record, snickerdoodles ARE NOT CHRISTMAS COOKIES!  They are, most definitely, anytime of the year cookies.  Which means they can also be enjoyed at Christmas-time, that's true.  But boys.  Seriously.  Use a little imagination.  There are so many other great cookies out there.  Cookies that have chocolate in them.

Anyway, when encouraged to come up with cookie suggestions that were not duplicated by any brothers, they said (in order of age, youngest to oldest):

SnickerdoodlesClassic Sugar Cookies




That's more like it.  Even though only one of them includes chocolate.  Boys.

The oldest boy hasn't conveyed his choice to me yet.  I was assuming it would be little cookies, but I really shouldn't.  Assume, that is.  It surprises me that this man I married continues to surprise me after 20+ years of marriage.

I also have to make (but these aren't cookies, so it's ok) peppermint bark** and nutter butter reindeers.

In addition, I am participating in a cookie exchange this year. I'm having a little trouble deciding what I want to make, but here are the contenders:


What holiday treats are you making this year?


* Traditional, white chocolate coated, and peppermint traditional/white chocolate coated oreo truffles.  The recipe itself is super easy, so we have to complicate it somehow...

** Super easy, super delicious peppermint bark:

  1. Melt some chocolate, dark, milk, whatever you prefer, and spread it in a thin layer on something it won't stick to (like parchment paper or a silpat mat).  Allow to harden and cool.  
  2. Melt a similar amount of Wilton's Candy Cane Colorburst candy melts (you can get these at craft stores--I actually got some at Aldi), and spread over the top of your chocolate.  The chocolate might melt a bit.  That's OK. 
  3.  Immediately sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy (I use candy canes), and press the candy into the candy melts a bit.  Allow to cool and harden, then break into bite sized pieces and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...